Pre-addiction can be reversed! The goal of treatment at the pre-addiction stage is not perfection, but building healthier choices and an improved state of mind. This looks different for different people.
In pre-addiction treatment, the focus is to improve resilience and protective factors against addiction and to reduce negative consequences from substance use. But like changing your diet, this can be hard to do on your own and some things work well for certain people but not others!
The weight loss industry is a good parallel, with a range of options, including coaching, therapy, clinical interventions, groups, and DIY approaches. At Confidant, we’re here to help you pick the path that’s most likely to help you succeed, this sometimes means trying different strategies.
Some things that can help people achieve success in reducing pre-addiction are:
Coaches provide non-clinical assistance, such as:
- Defining and reaching your wellness goals
- Forming and sticking to an action plan
- Identifying resources to support you
- Providing judgement-free support as well as accountability
- Serve as a sounding board
- Share strategies to reduce cravings and deal with setbacks
- Add motivational support