Good conversation skills can be learned and practiced, and it's never too late to start. Follow these tips for better conversations.
- Start small - Small talk allows people to connect and makes conversations more comfortable.
- Ask permission - Ask permission before starting crucial conversations to create a safe space and show respect.
- Manage your tone of voice - Your tone conveys many things, such as mood and intention. Be sure to use the appropriate tone and avoid being harsh or yelling.
- “Sandwich” it - Put your request or distressing message in between two positive statements.
- Use “I” Statements - "I" statements allow you to assert yourself without being accusatory. ("I feel frustrated when you are late to dinner. It makes me worry about you.")